Sunday 14 October 2012

5 bands you should be listening to:


Some of these are obvious, if you haven’t heard of them I presume you’ve been living under a rock for the past 12 months, but some are older or less known, and (I personally think) are brilliant. So without further ado...
1. Hal

This delightfully laid-back band are from Dublin, and I have to admit until earlier this month I’d forgotten they even existed. Their first album called, well...Hal, is a work of pure musical genius. I defy you to listen to this song, and not feel a little bit happier and relaxed than you did before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvA4X4vAZo

2. The Vandals
They’re certainly not new, and definitely not unheard of, but undeniably under-rated. Their pop-punk/punk-rock songs, (call them what you will), are just as good as bands like NOFX, but a lot less tiring for your mind to process. Although some songs have a genuine deeper meaning, it’s masked in silly lyrics and infectious riffs. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo8EuOu1ojk

3. Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls
Anyone that knows me may already know about my (slight!) fixation with these guys. But there’s a reason for my enthusiasm for all songs Frank Turner! If there’s a more relevant songwriter at the moment, I haven’t heard of them. He’s slowly taking over the world, one glorious song at a time!  I won’t waste your time explaining self-indulgent reasons why various songs are good. Just buy an album, and listen to it! (If you don’t like it you’re strange, though.)
4. Smoking Popes
The creators of one of the most beautiful songs ever made. They have other great ones, but this one is in an entirely different league.  I’m not even going to say any more - just listen.
5. Bayside
This is a tricky one, that I hate to love, because they are the writers of the most miserable lyrics ever written. Seriously, you could search through  the back-catalogue of every artist to have graced the world with music, and they’d still win the ‘depressing song award of all time’. But the music is brilliant. As long as you don’t listen to much, or take it too seriously, then you’ll be fine. Infact, I prescribe three Frank songs for every one Bayside. Sorted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_HoxgJqmjg
 

No comments:

Post a Comment