Wednesday 3 April 2013

Should music be censored?

I've been inspired to write this after receiving some music earlier today. I love hearing new songs, and am happy to give honest feedback should it be required. Always. I'm also not the kind of person to be easily offended - I'm fairly tolerant in general, most of all with music. In fact, if you'd told me this morning that I'd take considerable offence to a ska song, I'd have probably laughed.

However, it took me by surprise, and what started out as a seemingly upbeat offbeat song, turned into something that made me feel fairly uncomfortable. I'm not going to list the reasons as to why, it doesn't seem necessary, or entirely appropriate, but I will leave a link at the bottom, and let you make up your own mind.

It did get me thinking though - can music really go too far anymore? There are no limitations, other than censoring language on the radio, for most countries at least. Sadly, not everyone lives in a world where music is readily available, tolerated or even legal. But that's a topic for another time. For the most part though, long gone are the days where punk music could shock a nation, or gigs are shut down for being too hardcore.

I certainly don't want the music I listen to to be censored, or edited. It should be as honest and real as possible, should that be what the artist wants. (Yes...even Emo music). I've always been fascinated by what punk bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash did to help shape the music genres we now know and love. It seems almost insulting to the work they did to demand any sort of censoring.

But perhaps, if you could label such music as "This song has unexpectedly disconcerting lyrics, with undeniably creepy undertones", next time, that'd be great. Or just, "THIS SONG IS WEIRD".


http://www.reverbnation.com/goodsign2012

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Alice, Good Sign here.

    I wanted to start off by saying that I found your blog to be very captivating. I strongly agree with your opinion that the hard work and effort of artists in every sense deserves to be liberated from any form of censor-ship, as to live up to it's real musical potential. Many many thanks as well for taking the time to give such excellent feedback to us. Furthermore, I'd like to apologize for what you experienced while listening to our music, and am now aware that it probably would have rocked having been warned of the content before hand. I have successfully addressed the issue on Reverbnation.com.

    If I may clear the air on another potential issue, I want to absolve any implication of subjects relating to misogyny, or the condoning of foolish and irresponsible alcohol/substance use of any form (this possible concern occurred to me shortly following the viewing of this blog).

    Conclusively, I'd like to say that I really enjoyed getting to read your blog and that your message has soundly resonated with us. I'm looking forward to reading future blogs, Alice. Keep up the good work.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete