Tuesday 6 September 2011

Barclay's Mercury Prize 2011

I noticed while flicking through my SKY tv guide, that it is the Barclay's Mercury Prize for Album Of The Year tonight. I also realised that I have no idea who is nominated, so I thought I'd find out.

Metronomy - The English Riviera
I can understand why this has been nominated, it's a great and completely unique album. 'The Bay' is reason enough in my opinion - such a fantastic song!
Best song on the album: The Bay

Adele - 21
This is a superb album. Each song is beautifully written and perfectly performed. In actual fact, I'd be very surprised if this album doesn't win.
Best song on the album - Someone Like You

Everything Everything - Man Alive
It's just a matter of taste, and I know they have many fans, but in my opinion I don't think this album is worthy of the prize. They are increasing in popularity, and I wish them every success, but I guess this album just isn't for me.
Best song on the album - Photoshop Handsome

Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter & Melancholy Jam
I have to admit I didn't make it the whole way through this album. I'm sure it's fantastic - the lyrics are good, I'm just not the right person to review it fairly - it's simply not a style of music I enjoy.
Best song on the album - Survive It

Anna Calvi - Anna Calvi
This album has a very distinctive sound - it reminds me of a slightly bizarre yet appealing mixture of Marina and The Diamonds and Bjork. I'm not sure it can beat the heights of Adele's album 21, but it's certainly a solid album.
Best song on the album - Desire

Tinie Tempah - Disc-Overy
I was given this album last month, and although it's by no means the kind of music I'd normally listen to, I approached to it with as much positivity as I could muster. I can honestly say, it's nowhere near as bad as I though it would be. I've heard 'Pass Out' lots of times at parties, and never really minded it. Although I think it's safe to say I won't be listening to it again any time soon, I can understand it's appeal.

Elbow - Build A Rocket Boys
'Open Arms' is one of my favourite songs of the year. I thought their previous album 'Seldom Seen Kid' was utterly beautiful, and while I don't think 'Build A Rocket Boys' reaches he heights of that album, it's very good.
Best song on the album - Open Arms

Gwilym Simcock - Good Days At Schloss Elmau
While I love jazz piano, and this album is undoubtedly good, I'm not sure it really packs enough punch rival it's opposition.
Best song on the album - These Are The Good Days

James Blake - James Blake
He has a nice voice, but I think this album is trying to be a bit too indie and original for it's own good. It's not something I would rush out and buy, and I don't think it deserves the Mercury prize.
Best song on the album - The Wilhelm Scream

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
I know there has been a lot of praise for this album, but I find the songs pretty uninspiring. Her voice irritates me - it's definitely not an album I particuarly like!
Best song on the album - The Glorious Land

Katy B -On A Mission
Once again, this isn't the kind of music I'd listen to, but this time I really quite liked it. Her voice couldn't suit this kind of style any better.
Best song on the album -Katy On A Mission

King Creosote & John Hopkins - Diamond Mine
This is a beautifully-crafted album. It really stands out from the other nominations.
Best song on the album - Bubbles


There are some nominations with a really worthy of the Mercury Prize, and some others that I feel perhaps are not, but overall I think the most worthy contender is 21 by Adele.

No comments:

Post a Comment